Friday 29 May 2015

Banana Cake: A Postnatal Confinement Gift

I miss the simple time when the gifts I gotta find for friends are either birthday gifts or holiday souvenirs. Then come the tricky wedding presents. Once I get a hold on that, the game changed again. Now, the much more complicated, filled with pantang-larang, gifts for postnatal friends. 

Melawat orang pantang (postnatal confinement) nak bawa hadiah/buah tangan apa?

  Some suggested fruits then another said not all fruits! There are those "cold" fruits that new moms gotta avoid. No, nothing to do with putting the fruits in the fridge. Then there are those conflicting views on fruits like oranges. Some said no way jose while others said go ahead. Rules and more confusing rules.

Why is it so hard? I just want to bring something (hopefully healthy) for the mom!

So I Googled "kek pisang orang berpantang" and found this.

  Baked it for a friend and made some into cupcakes with cream cheese. Result? Tastier and more moist than other recipes I've tried.


Banana Cake for Postnatal Confinement Moms
Banana cake all wrapped and boxed


Ingredients

  • 2 cups cake flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3 jumbo eggs
  • 1 cup corn oil
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 4 cavendish banana
  • 1 tbsp white vinegar
  • 1 tbsp vanilla


Steps

1. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt. In a blender, put eggs, corn oil & white sugar. Blend well. Add in mashed banana, white vinegar & vanilla. Blend again.

2. Add mixture to sifted flour. Combine well.

3. Pour into greased cake pan. Bake at 160ÂșC for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake come out clean.


I left the cake in the switched off oven for about 10 minutes to let it brown a bit more. LOVE the smell!


Banana cake by Shea Sonia

Banana cupcakes by Shea Sonia

For the cupcakes, I poured the batter up till about half of the cupcake liners and bake for 10-15 minutes. I let them cool before frosting with buttercream cheese.

  Personally, I think the cake is good enough without any frosting. And I don't even like banana cakes!


No comments:

Post a Comment