Wednesday 1 July 2015

Dahlia Rosa (Semperit Rose)

Dahlia Rose (Semperit) by Shea Sonia

Mom asked if I know how to make 'semperit' cookies. I've heard of it but I had no idea what it looks like. So I Googled and researched a bit. I wanted to surprise mom by baking some. 

  There are a lot of recipes online. The traditional ones looked boring but semperit dahlia caught my eyes. Celebrities innovated the old semperit by adding cream, pandan, cheese and lots of other things. I plan to keep the taste authentic. Well, almost. 

  I mean, if anyone (who had semperit before) eat mine blindfolded, they should still be able to recognise that it is kueh semperit. At the same time, I want to add colour and a mild flavour to mine. I thought pink and yellow will look nice so my choice of flavouring was between strawberry and rose.

Semperit Rose by Shea Sonia

Since the cookies are for raya (eid ul Fitr) and air sirap ros is synonymous with raya, I decided on rose flavour and semperit sirap was born! Glamour name- Dahlia Rosa :) OK that was kinda too sinetron. Call it whatever, here's the recipe:


Ingredients

  • 1 cup margarine (not butter)
  • 3/4 cup icing sugar
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 cups corn starch
  • 1 cup wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup custard powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla flavour
  • 1 tsp rose flavour
  • red gel colouring
  • edible beads for decoration

Steps

1) Beat margarine with sugar and egg yolk. Add in sifted flour (corn, wheat and custard) and salt, mix well.

2) You should get soft dough. Divide into 2 portions and knead in vanilla flavour in one and a little red colouring & rose flavour in the other. Careful so you don't over-knead or piping will be a challenge without the special semperit dahlia mould

Note: Depending on your dough/batter, you can use normal piping nozzle + bag (cake decorating) or a special semperit mold 

3) Combine the 2 dough, pipe onto baking tray and decorate with edible beads. Bake at 160ÂșC for 15-20 minutes.

Note: Star tip nozzle. 
          Press, lift OR
          Press and twist, slight twist opposite direction, lift.


Semperit Rose by Shea Sonia
Simplified instructions for easy reference


No comments:

Post a Comment